During the design process of a report, you very often will want to know what the report looks like if it were created in the development stage that it currently is in. You can launch such a preview using the button in the lower-left corner of the report window.
A new window will pop up where you can see the log file during the creation of the resulting report document. If the creation of the report document finishes successfully, the log file window will automatically be closed and the preview will be launched in the associated application on your computer (e.g. PDF files will be opened in a PDF viewer, Microsoft Excel files will be opened in Microsoft Excel etc.).
Before creating a new preview, you will have to close the previously generated preview. If the creation of the report document fails, the log file will not automatically close and you can see why the creation of the preview has failed.
However, there are a few things to consider when creating a preview:
- The preview will be created using the user (see User and User Groups) with which you are currently authenticated in Mail & Deploy. That means, that all resources required for the creation of the preview (e.g. the connection to the datasource) need to be available to that user.
Example: If you preview a report that is based on a Qlik Sense app and a QlikView Document, the user that launches the preview needs to have the required access to the Qlik Sense app and the QlikView Document.
- The preview will be created locally by Mail & Deploy Client, not by Mail & Deploy Server (as any other report document creation and task execution would). Therefore, all resources required for the creation of the preview need to be available on the computer that runs Mail & Deploy Client.
Example: If you preview a report that is based on a QlikView Document, the computer that runs Mail & Deploy Client (and the user, that runs Mail & Deploy Client) requires a licensed QlikView Desktop Client installed and access to the associated QlikView Document via the file system.
- The application to view the resulting preview report document needs to be installed on the computer that runs Mail & Deploy Client and available to the user running Mail & Deploy Client.
Example: If you preview a Microsoft Excel report, Microsoft Excel (or any other viewer for Microsoft Excel Workbooks) must be installed on the computer and available to the user that runs the preview. If you preview a report that creates an Adobe PDF Document, a PDF viewer application is required.
- Report Parameters (see Report Parameters) will be set to their default values when creating the preview.
- The default culture (see Culture Awareness), if applicable, will be used when creating the preview.
- The preview file type will be used when creating the preview.